Companies that engage in one or more acquisitions face the possibility of becoming unified financially, but what I call a “Frankenstein” team. Integrating culture is every bit important as integration IT systems!
Create a beautiful quilt, not a Frankenstein!
What can be done? Based in part on Patrick Lencioni’s sage advice in “The Advantage – Why Organizational Health Trumps Everything Else in Business”, and over a decade of a successful track record aligning and energizing teams across borders and boundaries of every kind, we’ll:
- Create a shared purpose beyond cost-savings and profit.
- Build on shared values and a compelling vision of the future that turn a group into a team.
- Clarify exactly what the business does that customers need, want, and for which they are willing to pay.
- Identify a value proposition that clearly states the benefits the team provides, and why people would want to pay you instead of a competitor.
- Focus on the top priorities that will drive decisions and resource allocation.
- Agree on roles and responsibilities with built-in accountability.
Don’t stop there! Getting everyone “singing from the same song sheet” is just the start! Strategic planning must be followed by strategic DOING! “Scrappy Project Management – The 12 Predictable and Avoidable Pitfalls Every Project Faces” creates the foundation and structure that will assure that good intentions turn into great results. This requires an organization that supports:
- Customer-centric, market-focused mindset.
- Creativity and innovation that’s as common place as breathing.
- Support for prototyping, risk-taking, and a tolerance for unavoidable failure from which we learn and grow.
- Communication structures that assure top-to-bottom alignment around the purpose, goals, success criteria, and priorities.
- An “attitude of gratitude” that permeates the organization, and fosters employee engagement vs. “just enough” effort to get by.
Kimberly’s team has contributed meaningfully to the post M&A integration of teams within Global 1000 companies such as:
- Suntory Group
- Daiichi Sankyo Pharma
- Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma
- Tokio Marine
- Pigeon Group